Pages

header-01

5.10.2014

31 photos in 31 days


Way way back in March (it seems like so long ago now that the nice weather has finally arrived) I was a feeling a little low on photography inspiration. I needed a project. I had seen Project 365s online where you take a photo every day for a year. But that seemed a little daunting so instead I embarked on Project 31.

So how did it go?  I liked that it challenged me to find something interesting in the everyday and ordinary, like on March 9 when at the end of a picture-less day I ended up taking an interesting, abstract shot of my neighbour's Christmas lights (yes, Christmas lights in March). I liked that it gave me lots and lots of practice to improve my photography skills. I liked having an excuse to take my camera to places I might not normally have (see my friend's birthday on March 28). And finally as much as I like taking pictures of babies, it was a nice change to photograph non-moving subjects (like walls) that don't care how many photos you take.

But like any challenge it wasn't all roses. There were days when I just didn't know what to shoot and ended up taking a boring picture of my house (see March 17). I also found myself constantly considering if something would make a good photo, which meant I felt guilty when I saw something interesting and wasn't shooting. All in all I did breathe a sigh of relief when I realized it April 1. 

Which brings me to the final question: did I succeed in taking a picture every day? Those who skipped ahead to the pictures below might already see that one photo is missing. On March 8, I forgot to take a picture with my DSLR but I did have my husband's iPhone. He later lost his phone (and all his photos!), so March 8 just wasn't meant to be and this post should really be titled 30 photos in 31 days.













2 comments:

  1. I've done a 365 ... Or, I started and got into three figures before I started to cheat. I've also done one a week on a theme. Loved that. There isa site called, I think, Photo Fridays that a couple of my friends play on.
    Your photos of your little one are getting better and better, I think. Love the one with your dad, the melting snow shot, 'jane'.
    Doing great.
    I was struggling with trying to shoot dolphins from a hotel balcony this morning. Haven't looked at them yet, but I am not hopeful. Even babies would be easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like the one a week theme. Maybe I'll need to make it my next photo project - thanks for the suggestion Mary!

    ReplyDelete